Thursday, June 25, 2009

rattlesnake adventure

Tim's day off today....so what did we do? You guessed it, a hike. Today we went on a little trail called Ferguson Canyon, close to Little Cottonwood Canyon.The view from the trail. It 1.75 miles to the top, but it was a steep 1.75 miles (with a four year old in tow). To be honest, it was one of those hikes where the trail was actually more interesting than the end destination. A lot of it was up a pretty riverbed, which made it fun for the kids as they scrambled over the rocks. This is the first rattlesnake we encountered as we came down the trail. It was actually about three feet away from Joshua, about shoulder height next to the trail. It was coiled and rattling, which alerted Joshua to its presence. Joshua just flipped out, started crying, and froze in place. We yelled at him to run ahead, and we waited for it to relax and move away. Me? I was shaking like a leaf because it had been so close to my son.
And yet another one. In my paranoia, I had this feeling it wouldn't be the last rattlesnake we'd see on the hike. Still shaking from the first one (I don't do well with snakes) I'm silently praying for all of us to get down the trail safely, and sure enough, about 15 minutes later Adam found the second one. We came to a riverbed crossing, and as Adam came to the other side, he actually hopped right on top of the rattler. No exaggeration.....the way he landed he was straddling it. This was quite fortunate, because if he had stepped on it I think we'd be telling a different story. As calm as he could be, he said "Look, guys! Another rattlesnake!" and kept on walking. No kidding...this kid was cool as a cucumber. The snake wouldn't leave, so Tim dealt with it by throwing rocks. I thought to grab my camera as his tail was disappearing under a boulder.


As we continued on it occurred to me that Adam didn't have enough fear of rattlesnakes. Sheesh, I'd even settle for healthy respect. He's been around other harmless snakes in the places we've lived, but I had to remind him just how dangerous a rattler was. Anyway, all's well that ends well, but I'm just grateful I had taken the time to say my morning prayers.

9 comments:

Anna said...

Oh hunny. I feel ya. I just posted about having a Garter snake in the yard. I flipped at that - so I can't imagine a rattle snake! Glad everyone is fine.

CUTRER said...

OH MY! That is scary I am glad to see that all is ok. How are the boys doing know. SSSSSSnakes are so diffrent you never know what they will do. See you this Sat night at Angies

WendyJ said...

Yikes!! So scary, we'll have to avoid that trail when we visit:) Glad to hear you're all fine.

Jan and Cameron said...

Snakes scare the bajibas out of me!! I am so glad that no one got bit. When we come up I think we are going to have to keep Dexter close.

amy morgan said...

Reason #18 of a very long list why I DO NOT care for the outdoors ;) Glad all is well!

Julie said...

Rattlesnakes really scare me too! At least they rattle to warn you.

Gretchen said...

HOLY SCARY! But at the same time...how cool! I'm glad everyone was safe. Poor Joshua! It's so great that you guys get out and hike! We can't wait for some hikes in Colorado!!

Jessica said...

I actually like snakes, but that's probably only because I've never seen a poisonous one in the wild. Yikes!

Two questions:
1. When do we get to hear about your China trip on the blog? I keep seeing hints about it on Facebook, now we need pictures!!
2. When are you going to finish making the blog rounds you promised in March? Wouldn't want you to miss any fun news that might be on the sidebar of my blog.... ;-)

Deborah said...

I'm pretty sure I'd have been freakin' out.